Blog 0 - Personal Introduction

Hello everyone and welcome to my blog!

The main purpose of this will be for my masters Business Intelligence class at the University of Arizona. The posts to follow will have a recap of the modules we cover as well as some supplementary materials that I find.

As for myself, my name is Thomas Vander Wal. I moved from North Dakota to Tucson last year for my wife's job and besides the summer heat have loved it all! Luckily, the company I work for is the same one in North Dakota and they've allowed me to continue working remotely. There I do ETL development, which makes me very excited for this class. The work I do deals less with BI and is more database migration focused. However, we still get to work with BI tools to complete projects. Prior to this job I worked as a BI analyst intern with the Cognos tool. So I do have a little experience with BI practices and solutions.

When I'm not working my day job you can find me working out, reading, or trying to learn something new. The last one is what really drove me to enter this program and it's one of the best choices I've made. Other interests I have are mechanical keyboards, whiskey, and space! Recently, I got to combine one of my interests and hobbies by reading Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neal deGrasse Tyson, which I'd recommend to anyone interested in the cosmos.

Thanks for reading this and I'd really appreciate your thoughts and critiques of my posts!

Comments

  1. Nice to meet you Thomas!! I also enjoy whiskey (and whisky). What did you think of week two in regards to ETL? Accurate and relevant to your daily work? Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you as well! Seeing lots of names from the IS Analysis and Design class. As for the class content for ETL I found it really interesting. It's always cool getting a different perspective on the things we do professionally. Like I said I do more migration type programming so I wouldn't say it's super relevant. We take the data from our new member's current system and use ETL processes so that the data ends up in a format that's compatible with our databases. But one day I'd like to do some DW design and ETL in that regards so it'll be relevant for future me ha.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts